Key Dates in the History of St Nicholas’ Church

Key Dates in the History of  St.Nicholas’ Church

1872: Competition held to select a design for a new church

1873: Foundation stone laid

1874: St. Nicholas’ Church consecrated

1880: Vestry added to the church building

1882-83: West end of church extended to include baptistry

1890s – 1920: Stained glass windows, reredos and wood panelling introduced; many of these new features due to W.D. Caroe

1906: Church hall added

1950: Chancel screen removed

1952: St. Martin’s Chapel dedicated

1957: Church hall building extended to give a suite of halls and meeting rooms

1966-67: Main part of church building re-slated and stonework cleaned on outside of the building

1970: Pews between baptistry and north-south aisle removed, leaving space for displays, book stands and circulation

1974: St. Barnabas’ Chapel dedicated

1986: Restoration programme begins