In 1967 a new organ console was installed in St Martin’s Chapel. The ‘Norman and Beard’ three manual organ is said to be one the finest within the Liverpool Diocese.
It is currently the focus of a specific fund raising restoration project and our application to the John Pilling Trust has recently been successful with a grant of approximately £9,000. Establised in 1957, the Pilling Trust’s objects are to: ‘Advance the religious beliefs of the Church of England through the maintenance of the musical side of church services, and to develop the advancement of Christian education’.
The grant, together with some organ restoration funds, will enable the renewal of the electrics at the organ console and install a computerised piston system. David Wells Organ Builders will be undertaking around £15,000 of work.
Voluntaries are played both before and after services. Music for the month can be found on the back page of each monthly magazine ‘Church News’. As well as accompanying the choir in anthems, the organ leads the congregational singing.
Its large palette of stops makes it an excellent recital instrument allowing organists to interpret both the delicacy of the Baroque repertoire and the fuller sound of the French Romantic tradition to equally impressive effect.
A number of distinguished soloists have given recitals at St. Nicholas’ including Ian Tracey (principal organist for the Liverpool Anglican Cathedral), Richard Lea (former organist at the Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral – now at Buckfast Abbey), David Poulter (former organist of Liverpool Anglican Cathedral) and Stephen Hargreaves (former organist at St. Nicholas’ Church, Blundellsands).
Full details of the Norman & Beard Organ Specification can be downloaded.